This wikibook has been written for candidates who are studying for the above Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) certification. Although this exam may be taken as a stand-alone certification, it is also a core component of the Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA), Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) and Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) courses.
This book is still in progress.
The author is currently studying for the 70-290 certification so this book is very much a "Work in progress". Despite the best efforts of the author, this book may still contain errors and inaccurate information. Contributions from more experienced authors and those who are actually certified would be greatly appreciated!
--Awy 21:40, 1 July 2006 (UTC)
These objectives come directly from the Microsoft website. For more information about this certification and the skills measured, see http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.asp
There are five main skill areas tested in the 70-290 examination. It is intended that a chapter will be devoted to each main skill area. The individual skills within each area will have a page devoted to them
Managing and Maintaining Physical and Logical DevicesEdit
- Manage Basic Disks and Dynamic Disks
- Monitor Server Hardware
- Optimize Server Disk Performance
- Troubleshoot Server Hardware Devices
- Install and Configure Server Hardware Devices
Managing Users, Computers and GroupsEdit
- Manage Local, Roaming and Mandatory User Profiles
- Create and Manage Computer Accounts in Active Directory
- Create and Manage Groups
- Create and Manage User Accounts
- Troubleshoot Computer Accounts
- Troubleshoot User Accounts
- Troubleshoot User Authentication Issues
Managing and Maintaining Access to ResourcesEdit
- Configure Access to Shared Folders
- Troubleshoot Terminal Services
- Configure File System Permissions
- Troubleshoot Access to Files and Shared Folders
Managing and Maintaining a Server EnvironmentEdit
- Monitor and Analyse Events
- Manage Software Update Infrastructure
- Manage Software Site Licensing
- Manage Servers Remotely
- Troubleshoot Print Queues
- Monitor System Performance
- Monitor File and Print Servers
- Monitor and Optimise a Server Environment for Application Performance
- Manage a Web Server
Managing and Implementing Disaster RecoveryEdit
- Perform System Recovery for a Server
- Manage Backup Procedures
- Recover from Server Hardware Failure
- Restore Backup Data
- Schedule Backup Jobs
This section is intended to cover anything not already dealt with by the above pages.
Preparing for the ExamEdit
Read the Microsoft Press Book cover to cover twice.
If you're not a Network Systems Administrator having worked in a atleast a small to mid-sized organization then you should do the labs.
On the WebEdit
Sunbelt Software maintains several Windows-related mailing lists. You may find NTSYSADMIN, Active Directory, Windows Security and MCSE Study Issues to be useful. More informaion here: http://www.sunbelt-software.com/community.cfm