Learn Marathi (marAThi) मराठी language
To type in Marathi language on Wiki Projects as shown in this video supprt clip first select, मराठी and then अक्षरांतरण option, or select 'मराठी लिपी' for inscript option, Click on the 'cc
to change the subtitle languages to Marathi, English, Sanskrit, Kokani,Ahirani.
Marathi is 15th largest language by number of people who speak Marathi. There is large ethnic Marathi diaspora across the globe. If you are staying overseas you can look for Maharashtra Mandals
for getting coaching support in Marathi language in many countries across the globe. To know more about Marathi language click the following links.
• Marathi language • Marathi Alphabet
• Marathi Grammar : • Nouns, • Pronouns • Verbs
• Vocabulary: • Marathi Words • Family Relationships • Numbers • Days • Months
• Phrases: • Common Phrases
- We need your help in:
- • Improving this book;
- • Need pictures of Maharashtra and Marathi culture at Wikimedia commons so we can use them to have more content in this book
- • Need sound files for following individual Marathi words : दिंडी, पगडी, उपरणे, कुर्ता, धोती, घागर, चोळी, नऊवारी, तुतारी, बी
- • Need Marathi 30 seconds to 60 seonds songs and rhymes audio-video media clips.
Who can learn Marathi ?
There are following categories of people who use or study Marathi as second language.
- People having Marathi mother-tongue but studied in English or semi-English medium
- People having Marathi mother-tongue but lost or on the verge of losing touch with Marathi language
- Such people whose family is multilingual in the sense one of the parent or family member is Marathi speaking.
- Such people whose mother-tongue is other than Marathi but studied Marathi language as first or second language.
- Pupils of Marathi speaking non resident Indians
- Pupils of Migrants to non Marathi speaking areas
- Those who want to learn Marathi language as foreign language.
If one informs us on talk page of this article, which of the above background people want to learn Marathi language, then probable we can have more customised support for the given audiance.
- While the traditional teaching method will be available; We additionally provide here a different approach. Adult education experts say that human beings usually remember words as pictures and not as single alphabate so we support here with randomly displayed marathi words with pronounciation with few additional tips on the main page itself so every time you visit you learn new word with ease is the target.
- Simmillerly we are also supporting on this page with learn with pictures feature This helps to understand words with cultural context and again makes easy to understand and remember.
- We will also do an effort to explain words from Marathi songs and rhymes
- We will also try to highlight simillarities of Marathi and european words as indoeuropean languages , also along with latin and sanskrit info where available.
- Marathi language has borrowed words also from arabic, parsian and other geologically neighbouring languages we will make endevour to explain those words also wherever possible.
- For advance users we will show sentense translations randomly. And also in near future for those who know Hindi already we will try to provide support from Hindi language Wikibooks project.
- Have you understood the concepts and if you have some good ideas you also can join adding up info to this book as you learn.
- For this book we need support also from flash 'Gif' image experts and sound experts
So we hope you will enjoy learning and contributing to knowledge with this book.
Learn with pictures
- दिंडी = dinDi; a ritual pilgrmage in Maharashtra.
- Note Marathi language does not have small or capital letters, for roman transliteration when we use small d it pronounced for द as in delhi. When we use capital D pronounced for ड as Doctor as most of D pronounciations in english language.
- पगडी = pagaDi; alternate पागोटे = pAgoTe The pinkish red turban traditional Marathi head gear.
- उपरणे = uparaNe; a cotton maffalar/stroll (many times used like a long cotton napkin)
- कुर्ता = kurtA; a cotton shirt with long slieves
- Every time a different random picture, Keep coming keep learning !
- Pronounciation as of english alphabate B same pronounciation is in Marathi as बी = In Marathi बी means seed (of any plant; for singular usage only, plural is different we will not get in to plural at this stage)
- Note pronounciation of english word "Bee" is also similler.
- Remember pronounciation बी is not necessarily as of other words starting with B
- Remember pronounciation बी consonant ब् as in 'Bucket'; so just ब् is without vowel. To make sound as in english word Bee vowel sound ई 's is added to consonant ब् with ी sign. Hence, ब् + ी = बी
- We learned:
- Consonant ब्
- Serise of this consonant : प्, फ्, ब्, भ् , म्
- and vowel sign to go with consonants ी for vowel ई ; In english many spellings with ee like Bee, See, Pee contain longer sound like ई ( ी) also few english words with single e like 'me' have longer ई ( ी) vowel sound. (Sounds formed with english i vowel are usually shorter like 'big', 'pig' are shown in Marathi with different vowel इ ( ि) ; To make the difference more clearer; english word 'keen' contains longer vowel pronounciation as of ई ( ी) and word 'kin' has shorter pronounciation as of इ ( ि) )
- Vowels in Marathi language अ, आ, इ, ई = ी , उ, ऊ, ए, ऐ, ओ, औ, ऋ,ॠ, ऌ,ॡ, ॲ, ऑ