This is a list of tools for static code analysis.
- Lint — The original static code analyzer of C code.
Open-source or Non-commercial productsEdit
- PMD Copy/Paste Detector (CPD) — PMDs duplicate code detection for (e.g.) Java, JSP, C, C++ and PHP code.
- Sonar — A continuous inspection engine to manage the technical debt (unit tests, complexity, duplication, design, comments, coding standards and potential problems). Supported languages are Java, Flex, PHP, PL/SQL, Cobol and Visual Basic 6.
.NET (C#, VB.NET and all .NET compatible languages)Edit
- FxCop — Free static analysis for Microsoft .NET programs that compile to CIL. Standalone and integrated in some Microsoft Visual Studio editions. From Microsoft.
- Gendarme — Open-source (MIT License) equivalent to FxCop created by the Mono project. Extensible rule-based tool to find problems in .NET applications and libraries, particularly those that contain code in ECMA CIL format.
- StyleCop — Analyzes C# source code to enforce a set of style and consistency rules. It can be run from inside of Microsoft Visual Studio or integrated into an MSBuild project. Free download from Microsoft.
- Apparat — A language manipulation and optimization framework consisting of intermediate representations for ActionScript.
- BLAST (Berkeley Lazy Abstraction Software verification Tool) — A software model checker for C programs based on lazy abstraction.
- Clang — A compiler that includes a static analyzer.
- Frama-C — A static analysis framework for C.
- Lint — The original static code analyzer for C.
- Sparse — A tool designed to find faults in the Linux kernel.
- Splint — An open source evolved version of Lint (for C).
- cppcheck — Open-source tool that checks for several types of errors, including the use of STL.
- Checkstyle — Besides some static code analysis, it can be used to show violations of a configured coding standard.
- FindBugs — An open-source static bytecode analyzer for Java (based on Jakarta BCEL) from the University of Maryland.
- Hammurapi — (Free for non-commercial use only) versatile code review solution.
- PMD — A static ruleset based Java source code analyzer that identifies potential problems.
- Soot — A language manipulation and optimization framework consisting of intermediate languages for Java.
- Squale — A platform to manage software quality (also available for other languages, using commercial analysis tools though).
- Clang — The free Clang project includes a static analyzer. As of version 3.2, this analyzer is included in Xcode.
- Axivion Bauhaus Suite — A tool for C, C++, C#, Java and Ada code that comprises various analyses such as architecture checking, interface analyses, and clone detection.
- Black Duck Suite — Analyze the composition of software source code and binary files, search for reusable code, manage open source and third-party code approval, honor the legal obligations associated with mixed-origin code, and monitor related security vulnerabilities.
- CAST Application Intelligence Platform — Detailed, audience-specific dashboards to measure quality and productivity. 30+ languages, SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Siebel, .NET, Java, C/C++, Struts, Spring, Hibernate and all major databases.
- Coverity Static Analysis (formerly Coverity Prevent) — Identifies security vulnerabilities and code defects in C, C++, C# and Java code. Complements Coverity Dynamic Code Analysis and Architecture Analysis.
- DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit — Supports custom analysis of C, C++, C#, Java, COBOL, PHP, VisualBasic and many other languages. Also COTS tools for clone analysis, dead code analysis, and style checking.
- Compuware DevEnterprise — Analysis of COBOL, PL/I, JCL, CICS, DB2, IMS and others.
- GrammaTech CodeSonar — Analyzes C,C++.
- Imagix 4D — Identifies problems in variable usage, task interaction and concurrency, particularly in embedded applications, as part of an overall solution for understanding, improving and documenting C, C++ and Java software.
- Intel - Intel Parallel Studio XE: Contains Static Security Analysis (SSA) feature supports C/C++ and Fortran
- Klocwork Insight — Provides security vulnerability and defect detection as well as architectural and build-over-build trend analysis for C, C++, C# and Java.
- Lattix, Inc. LDM — Architecture and dependency analysis tool for Ada, C/C++, Java, .NET software systems.
- LDRA Testbed — A software analysis and testing tool suite for C, C++, Ada83, Ada95 and Assembler (Intel, Freescale, Texas Instruments).
- Micro Focus (formerly Relativity Technologies) Modernization Workbench — Parsers included for COBOL (multiple variants including IBM, Unisys, MF, ICL, Tandem), PL/I, Natural (inc. ADABAS), Java, Visual Basic, RPG, C & C++ and other legacy languages; Extensible SDK to support 3rd party parsers. Supports automated Metrics (including Function Points), Business Rule Mining, Componentisation and SOA Analysis. Rich ad hoc diagramming, AST search & reporting)
- Ounce Labs (from 2010 IBM Rational Appscan Source) — Automated source code analysis that enables organizations to identify and eliminate software security vulnerabilities in languages including Java, JSP, C/C++, C#, ASP.NET and VB.Net.
- Polyspace — Uses abstract interpretation to detect and prove the absence of certain run-time errors in source code for C, C++, and Ada
- Rational Asset Analyzer (IBM); Supports COBOL(multiple variants), PL/I, Java
- Rational Software Analyzer — Supports Java, C/C++ (and others available through extensions)
- SofCheck Inspector — Provides static detection of logic errors, race conditions, and redundant code for Java and Ada. Provides automated extraction of pre/postconditions from code itself.
- Sotoarc/Sotograph — Architecture and quality in-depth analysis and monitoring for Java, C#, C and C++
- Syhunt Sandcat — Detects security flaws in PHP, Classic ASP and ASP.NET web applications.
- Veracode — Finds security flaws in application binaries and bytecode without requiring source. Supported languages include C, C++, .NET (C#, C++/CLI, VB.NET, ASP.NET), Java, JSP, ColdFusion, and PHP.
- Visual Studio Team System — Analyzes C++,C# source codes. only available in team suite and development edition.
Products covering multiple .NET languages.
- CodeIt.Right — Combines Static Code Analysis and automatic Refactoring to best practices which allows automatically correct code errors and violations. Supports both C# and VB.NET.
- CodeRush — A plugin for Visual Studio, it addresses a multitude of short comings with the popular IDE. Including alerting users to violations of best practices by using static code analysis.
- NDepend — Simplifies managing a complex .NET code base by analyzing and visualizing code dependencies, by defining design rules, by doing impact analysis, and by comparing different versions of the code. Integrates into Visual Studio.
- ReSharper — Add-on for Visual Studio 2003/2005/2008/2010 from the creators of IntelliJ IDEA, which also provides static code analysis for C#.
- Kalistick — Mixing from the Cloud: static code analysis with best practice tips and collaborative tools for Agile teams
- Ada-ASSURED — A tool that offers coding style checks, standards enforcement and pretty printing features.
- AdaCore CodePeer — Automated code review and bug finder for Ada programs that uses control-flow, data-flow, and other advanced static analysis techniques.
- LDRA Testbed — A software analysis and testing tool suite for Ada83/95.
- SofCheck Inspector — Provides static detection of logic errors, race conditions, and redundant code for Ada. Provides automated extraction of pre/postconditions from code itself.
C / C++Edit
- FlexeLint — A multiplatform version of PC-Lint.
- Green Hills Software DoubleCheck — A software analysis tool for C/C++.
- Intel - Intel Parallel Studio XE: Contains Static Security Analysis (SSA) feature
- LDRA Testbed — A software analysis and testing tool suite for C/C++.
- Monoidics INFER — A sound tool for C/C++ based on Separation Logic.
- PC-Lint — A software analysis tool for C/C++.
- PVS-Studio — A software analysis tool for C,C++,C++11,C++/CX.
- QA-C (and QA-C++) — Deep static analysis of C/C++ for quality assurance and guideline enforcement.
- Red Lizard's Goanna — Static analysis for C/C++ in Eclipse and Visual Studio.
- Jtest — Testing and static code analysis product by Parasoft.
- LDRA Testbed — A software analysis and testing tool suite for Java.
- SemmleCode — Object oriented code queries for static program analysis.
- SonarJ — Monitors conformance of code to intended architecture, also computes a wide range of software metrics.
- Kalistick — A Cloud-based platform to manage and optimize code quality for Agile teams with DevOps spirit
Formal methods toolsEdit
Tools that use a formal methods approach to static analysis (e.g., using static program assertions):
- ESC/Java and ESC/Java2 — Based on Java Modeling Language, an enriched version of Java.
- Polyspace — Uses abstract interpretation (a formal methods based technique) to detect and prove the absence of certain run-time errors in source code for C, C++, and Ada
- SofCheck Inspector — Statically determines and documents pre- and postconditions for Java methods; statically checks preconditions at all call sites; also supports Ada.
- SPARK Toolset including the SPARK Examiner — Based on the SPARK programming language, a subset of Ada.
- "Static Analysis in Xcode". Apple. http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/featuredarticles/StaticAnalysis/index.html. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- Parasoft Application Security Solution
- Parasoft Compliance Solution
- Cousot, Patrick (2007). "The Role of Abstract Interpretation in Formal Methods". IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering and Formal Methods. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F4343908%2F4343909%2F04343930.pdf%3Farnumber%3D4343930&authDecision=-203. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- Java Static Checkers at the Open Directory Project
- List of Java static code analysis plugins for Eclipse
- List of static source code analysis tools for C
- List of Static Source Code Analysis Tools at CERT
- SAMATE-Source Code Security Analyzers
- SATE - Static Analysis Tool Exposition
- “A Comparison of Bug Finding Tools for Java”, by Nick Rutar, Christian Almazan, and Jeff Foster, University of Maryland. Compares Bandera, ESC/Java 2, FindBugs, JLint, and PMD.
- “Mini-review of Java Bug Finders”, by Rick Jelliffe, O'Reilly Media.
- Parallel Lint, by Andrey Karpov
- Integrate static analysis into a software development process Explains how one goes about integrating static analysis into a software development process
- Static Analysis Tools for C/C++ - Polyspace
- Errors detected in Open Source projects by the PVS-Studio developers through static analysis