The oceans cover about 70% of the Earth's surface. Hence, if one wants to understand our planet he or she has to understand oceans. In this book we shall describe the materials which make the oceans, their unique characteristics - among all the unique properties of water - chemical and physical. We shall describe their origin, behavior, and history, and relationship to global systems and their relationships. After reading this book, you will have a better understanding of our planet and its most important outer feature - the Oceans.
- Continue with An introduction...
Table of contents
- Water - origin and properties
- Heat and Radiation - Effects on our world oceans.
- The Water Cycle and Winds - How water move from the ocean and to the ocean.
- Surface Ocean Currents - What drives them, where they go, and why ?
- The Convoyer Belt - The model of three dimensional flow in the ocean.
- Marginal Seas - Lagoons and Estuarines.
- The Dissolved Contents - Why are oceans salty?
- Sediments in the Ocean - Where they form, what are they made of?
- The Carbon Cycle of the Ocean - The cycle of Carbon in the ocean, implications on Green House Effect.