International Postage Meter Stamp Catalog/Comoros
- Previously administered as part of the French territory of Madagascar, in 1947 Comoros became a separate French territory that included the island of Mayotte. In 1975 the Comoros Islands, less Mayotte, gained independence and became the Islamic Federal Republic of the Comoros. Although the United Nations in 1979 declared Mayotte to be under Comoros sovereignty, in all practical terms the island remains a French territory and is cataloged separately under MAYOTTE. The earliest meter seen with “COMOROS” in the frank is from 1972.
- The stamps are divided into two groups based on the political status:
- A - French territory
- B - Islamic Federal Republic
GROUP A: Issues of French territorial period. Frank inscribed “TERRITOIRE DES COMORES or COMORES”
- Inscribed “COMORES”.
- Date figures tall. Hour figure between TM and frank.
- M# with “SP” prefix.
- TM: SC
Last modified on 13 June 2012, at 12:26↑Jump back a section
GROUP B: Issues of the Federal Islamic Republic.
- Upright frank inscribed "R.F.I. COMORES" at top.
- “POSTES” straight at bottom.
- Without M#.
B2. Neopost “Electronic” (MV), 2004.
- Horizontal frank inscribed "UNION DES COMORES" at bottom.
- Profile of fish at top and "Le Coelacanthe" above country name at bottom.
- Without M#
- TM: SC
- V/F: 0000