How to use a Motorola DVR/Resets
|How to use a Motorola DVR
Identify | Connections | Setup | i-Guide | MSTV | Passport | Tivo | FireWire | Remote | Firmware/Software | Configuration | Bugs | Boot Errors | VOD Errors | Resets | Help
The reset information below should only be done at your own risk!! In some cases, it could disable your DVR or cable features, requiring a service call or replacement. It's even possible you could be fined if the DVR is damaged.
DVR HDD Reset
WARNING: this will wipe out all of your recordings, all scheduled recordings, all series recordings (your series priority list), and all manual recordings!! Write down everything you can before you do this!
- While the DVR is on, push power to turn it off (by pressing CABLE, POWER on your remote control) or by pushing power on your set top box.
- Immediately press OK on your remote or SELECT on your set top box. Push it twice. A diagnostics page -- black text on white background -- will appear on your television screen (make sure television is on).
- While on this screen, perform the following key sequence with your remote:
- Press the counter-clockwise arrow (REPLAY on some remotes) 2 times
- Press the MyDVR (LIST on some remotes) button 3 times
- Press the live button 2 times
- "Clr" will appear on the LED display.
- Press OK/SELECT to proceed with the reset. The STB should now reformat the hard drive and then perform a STB reset and begin to reload your cable settings and time settings from the head end. It will then begin to populate the guide data over the next two to 24 hours.
(On some systems, the button press pattern may be 1-3-1, not 2-3-2 as above. This is true for all the STB's for Shaw Cable.)
DVR Authorization and Factory Full Reset
WARNING: This will download and reinstall the DVR firmware and software. This SHOULD not erase your user settings or delete your stored recordings on the DVR. This is not guaranteed; proceed at your own risk.
- Unplug the power cord from the DVR.
- On the front of the DVR, press & hold the POWER & MENU buttons while plugging the power cord back into the DVR. The display should now read "boot".
- Release the POWER & MENU buttons.
- Press the UP or DOWN ARROW buttons on the DVR (not the remote) until you see "n dl" on the display.
- Press the OK/SELECT on the DVR to begin authorization & downloading of software, STB/DVR firmware from your cable headend. It could take up to 20 minutes to download the firmware, the software could take up to 2 hours depending on what software your cable provider has. You should see "n dl" in the LED display with a line moving in a square.
- After it completes this download the DVR will then reboot and begin to download the time settings for the clock along with your cable account info and settings. After this is done, it will begin to populate the Guide info. It could take up to 24 hours to fill in all 2 weeks of Guide info. Depending on your location, environmental variables and amount of users with digital cable or cable Internet, the download can take up to twice as long.
- If the display on your Motorola DVR displays only the number 0 after performing this process, it is in need of a reset by your cable provider. Call them and ask them to reset your box.
- This procedure is not confirmed to work on the newer DCH-series and DCX-series DVRs.
- It does not work on Time Warner Cable's version 6416 DVR (except in San Diego)
- It does not appear to work on ANY DCH3416 boxes.
- It is confirmed to be working on Insight and Cox Communications model 6416 III, and Cox Communications model DCT3416 I.
Remote Control Resets
Information on resetting the remote control can be found at Programming the Remote\Resets