In Gujarati culture:
These are the "titles" for family members. With the exception of Father, Mother, and Grandparents (who are called by the title only), all of these titles are added after the name of the person.
- Father: Papa or Bapuji
- Mother: Ba, Mummy or Maa
- Brother (also male cousins): Bhai (e.g. Haresh Bhai)
- Brother's Wife: Bhabhi (e.g. Komal Bhabhi)
- Sister (also female cousins): Ben (e.g. Mayuri Ben)
- Older Sister: Didi (e.g. Mayuri Didi)
- Sister's Husband: Banevi or Jijaji (e.g. mahesh Jijaji)
- Father's Younger Brother: Nana or Kaka (e.g. Rajesh Nana or Rajesh Kaka)
- Father's Younger Brother's Wife: Nani or Kaki(e.g. Komal Nani or Komal Kaki)
- Father's Older Brother: Kaka(e.g. Jiten Kaka)
- Father's Older Brother's Wife: Kaki (e.g. Bhavna Kaki)
- Father's Oldest Brother: Mota Kaka or Bapu(e.g. Jiten Kaka)
- Father's Oldest Brother's Wife: Moti Kaki or Moti ba (e.g. Bhavna Kaki)
- Father's Sister: Foi,Fui (also spelled Foy) (e.g. Komal Foi)
- Father's Sister's Husband: Fua (e.g. Akshay Fua)
- Mother's Brother: Mama (e.g. Siddarth Mama)
- Mother's Brother's Wife: Mami (e.g. Komal Mami)
- Mother's Sister: Masi (e.g. Sneha Masi)
- Mother's Sister's Husband: Masa (e.g. Gopal Masa)
- Paternal Grandfather: Dada or Bapuji
- Paternal Grandmother: Dadi or Ba
- Maternal Grandfather: Dada or Bapuji
- Maternal Grandmother: Dadi or Ba
- Wife's Sister: Saali
- Wife's Brother: Saalo
- Wife's Sisters husband: Saadhoo bhai
- Wife's Brothers wife: Saadhotri
- Cousins are considered to be "brother" or "sister".
- Son: Babo, Beto
- Daughter: Baby, Beti
If an uncle or aunt is a generation above usual (a "great uncle" or "great aunt"), a "mota" (big) is usually added to the title, and the name is dropped. So Maternal Grandmother's Brother is "Mota Mama" (Big Uncle).
Names are usually followed by titles, as they have listed above. This is different from the English, where we would say "Uncle John".
It is not unusual for this to vary from family to family, but these are the generally accepted titles.