Another science which would perhaps be the most comprehensive way to not only use analytical skills, but teach the general population that are not scientists how to methodically cook almost anything by learning simple facts and concepts.
Unlike Home economics, the commonly referred to class in high school about cooking food, the aim of this book is to use a hopefully illustrative style to teach about the basic chemical and physiological composition of food. Using the Alton Brown Guide to Molecular Gastronomy, we aim to teach you how food is generally made.
Of course, our mission is to
"Teach you how to cook, not simply teach you how to read recipes"
- Proper Utensil technique
- Design Of Cookware materials
What you need to do first to make sure you're safe.
- Proteins-Basically your meats, fish, eggs and dairy; plus (somewhat) legumes (beans, lentils, etc.).
- Lipids (Fatty Acids)-From corn oil to olive oil on the plant side to Lard, Tallow, Schmaltz, Duck Fat, etc. on the Animal Side
- Carbohydrates (Starches and Sugars) Grains (Ground-up and Whole) and Sweet Stuff
- Fiber (Leafy Greens, Fruits, and Vegetables) What your mother made you eat
- Emulsifiers-Make water and oil the best of friends (or at least a little more friendly)
- Thickeners-Make liquids flow slower
- Solvents-Dissolve flavors, colors, binders, proteins, and more
- Herbs and Spices-Make Stuff Taste Better
Areas of the Food Kingdom-explanation of what they are
- Chicken-perhaps the most used ingredient
- BeefporkAlso another common ingredient
- soupWholesomeness is just a pot away
- AmericanA blend of popular American foods.
- /food kingdom/saucesSauces
- Time Food
- Boiling-Using water and other ingredients to heat it with water
- Braising-cooking an item in a liquid, usually a sauce
- Frying-Use a fat/oil to give a crisp texture
- Steaming-Use water vapor to cook vegetables
- Sauteing-Induce caramelizing or browning
- Sweating-Decrease the amount of moisture
- Grilling-get that charcoal or propane taste.
- Smoking-Use of low heat and temp to cook and flavor foods
No Tool Methods to cooking If you kill the microbes, everyone is happy
Liming Since its an acid, it also kills the microbes. [[Food Science/Cooking Methods/notool#salting| Kills Microbes by making it an inhospitable environment.
When You can't afford the actual thing, make it yourself.