I've visited VeniceEdit
Aim of this lesson: Talk about hobbies and your family and practice using the present perfect to talk about experiences.
Chloe and Michael are students at university in Manchester. They're talking about places that they went to in the past.
|Chloe||Have you ever been to Venice?|
|Michael||No, I've never been there. What's it like?|
|Chloe||It was great, but I went there with my aunt and cousins so I didn't have a lot of free time.|
|Michael||Did you go on a gondola?|
|Chloe||No, but I wanted to! Where have you been that was exciting?|
|Michael||I've been to South Africa. In South Africa we went sailing, which was fantastic.|
Grammar Focus - Present PerfectEdit
- I have visited Venice.
Do we know when I visited Venice? Do we know how many times I visited Venice?
The Present Perfect is a very commonly used form in English. It is very important to learn how this form is used.
|+ positive sentences||SUBJECT + HAVE / HAS + PAST PARTICIPLE||I have seen The Lord of the Rings.|
|- negative sentences||SUBJECT + HAVEN'T / HASN'T + PAST PARTICIPLE||I haven't seen The Lord of the Rings.|
|? questions||HAVE / HAS + SUBJECT + PAST PARTICIPLE ?||Have you seen The Lord of the Rings?|
Vocabulary - FamilyEdit
The picture of Frodo Baggins' family tree (from the Lord of the Rings films) shows his family.
|Relation to Frodo||Name|
|Frodo's father||Droggo Baggins|
|Frodo's mother||Primula Brandybuck|
|Frodo's aunt (auntie)||Dora Baggins|
|Frodo's uncle||Dudo Baggins|
|Frodo's grandfather||Fosco Baggins|
|Frodo's grandmother||Ruby Bolger|
|Dora Baggins' nephew||Frodo|
|Fosco Baggins' grandson||Frodo|
|Drogo Baggins' son||Frodo|
Try to practice asking and answering these questions in pairs. If you're working on your own then write your answers.
- How big is your family? Do you have many brothers, sisters, aunts, or uncles?
- Have you ever been on vacation with your family? Did you like it?
- Have you ever been to see a film at the cinema more than once? When? What film was it?
- Whom are you closest to in your family? How often do you see that person?
Try these questions to see if you can use the present perfect correctly. The answers can be found here.
Complete the following sentences using the present perfect or past simple:
- Have you ever eaten / Did you ever eat curry?
- Last year I went / have been to Poland.
- No, I have never seen / never have seen The Lord of the Rings.
- My brother says that he haven't eaten / hasn't eaten curry.
- Did you go on vacation last summer? Yes, I have been / went to Croatia.
For further information about present perfect and past simple see Tenses and Forms.
This is the test page - the answers are not to be inserted here, but to be found here