SYMPTOMS AND PRESENTATIONS
Altered mental status, Anxiety, Apnea, Ataxia, Back pain, Bleeding, Coma, Confusion, Crying/Fussiness, Cyanosis, Decreased level of consciousness, Dehydration, Dizziness, Edema, Failure to thrive, Fatigue, Feeding problems, Fever, Hypotension, Jaundice, Joint pain/Swelling, Limp, Lymphadenopathy, Malaise, Multiple trauma, Needle stick, Pain, Paralysis, Paresthesia/Dysthesia,
HEAD AND NECK SYMPTOMS
Congestion, Diplopia, Dysphagia, Eye pain, Headache, Loss of hearing, Loss of vision, Rhinorrhea, Sore throat, Stridor, Tinnitus, Vertigo,
Abnormal vaginal bleeding, Anuria, Ascites, Belching / GERD, Colic, Constipation, Cramps, Diarrhea, Dysmenorrhea, Dysuria, Hematemesis, Hematochezia, Hematuria, Nausea/Vomiting, Pain, Pelvic pain, Peritonitis, Rectal bleeding, Rectal pain, Urinary incontinence, Urinary retention,
ABDOMINAL AND GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDERS
Arterial, Cardiopulmonary Arrest, Congenital Abnormalities of the Cardiovascular System, Diseases of the Myocardium, Acquired, Diseases of the Pericardium, Disorders of Circulation, Disturbances of Cardiac Rhythm, Endocarditis, Hypertensive Emergencies, Tumors, Valvular Disorders, Venous,
Bacterial, Cancers of the Skin, Decubitus Ulcer, Dermatitis, Fungal, Infections, Maculopapular Lesions, Papular/Nodular Lesions, Parasitic, Vesicular/Bullous Lesions, Viral,
Emergency preparedness, Chemical warfare agents, Bioterrorism, Infectious Disease outbreak, Radiation emergencies, The Dirty Bomb, Explosives,
ENDOCRINE, METABOLIC, AND NUTRITIONAL DISORDERS
Acid Base Disturbances, Adrenal Disease, Fluid and Electrolyte Disturbances, Glucose Metabolism, Nutritional Disorders, Parathyroid Disease, Pituitary Disorders, Thyroid Disorders, Tumors of Endocrine Glands,
Bites and Envenomation, Dysbarism, Electrical Injury, High Altitude Illness, Snake Bite, Submersion Incidents, Temperature Related Illness,
HEAD, EAR, EYE, NOSE, THROAT DISORDERS
Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis, Ear, Eye, Nose, Oropharynx/Throat, Tumors,
Blood Transfusion, Hemostatic Disorders, Lymphomas, Pancytopenia, Red Blood Cell Disorders, White Blood Cell Disorders,
IMMUNE SYSTEM DISORDERS
Collagen Vascular Disease, HIV and Manifestations, Hypersensitivity, Kawasaki Syndrome, Sarcoidosis, Transplant Related Problems,
Bacterial, Biologic Weapons, Fungal Infections, Protozoan - Parasites, Tick-Borne, Viral, Sepsis,
MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS (NONTRAUMATIC)
Bony Abnormalities, Disorders of the Spine, Joint Abnormalities, Muscle Abnormalities, Myofascial Pain Syndromes, Overuse Syndromes, Soft Tissue Infections,
NERVOUS SYSTEM DISORDERS
Cranial Nerve Disorders, Demyelinating Disorders, Headache, Hydrocephalus, Infections/Inflammatory Disorders, Movement Disorders, Neuromuscular Disorders, Other Conditions of the Brain, Seizure Disorders, Spinal Cord Compression, Stroke, Transient Cerebral Ischemia, Tumors,
OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
Complications of Delivery, Complications of Labor, Complications of Pregnancy, Female Genital Tract, High Risk Pregnancy, Normal Labor and Delivery, Normal Pregnancy, Postpartum Complications,
RENAL AND UROGENITAL DISORDERS
Acute and Chronic Renal Failure, Complications of Renal Dialysis, Glomerular Disorders, Infection, Male Genital Tract, Nephritis, Structural Disorders, Tumors,
Acute Upper Airway Disorders, Disorders of Pleura, Mediastinum, and Chest Wall, Noncardiogenic Pulmonary Edema, Obstructive/Restrictive Lung Disease, Physical and Chemical Irritants/Insults, Pulmonary Embolism/Infarct, Pulmonary Infections, Tumors,
Acetaminophen, Amphetamines, Anesthetics, Antiarrhythmics, Anticholinergics/Cholinergics, Anticoagulants, Anticonvulsants, Antidepressants, Antihistamines and antiemetics, Antihypertensives, Antiparkinsonism drugs, Antipsychotics, Beta blockers, Bronchodilators, Calcium channel blockers, Carbon monoxide, Cardiovascular drugs, Caustic agents, Cocaine, Cyanides, hydrogen sulfide, Ethanol, Glycol, Hallucinogens, Heavy metals, Herbicides, insecticides, and , Hormones/Steroids, Household/Industrial chemicals, Hydrocarbons, Hypoglycemics/Insulin, Inhaled toxins,
Abdominal trauma, Burns, Chemical Burns, Chest trauma, Cutaneous injuries, Facial fractures, Genitourinary trauma, Head trauma, Injuries of the spine, Lower extremity bony trauma, Multi-system Trauma, Neck trauma, Ophthalmologic trauma, Otologic trauma, Pediatric fractures, Pelvic fracture, Soft-tissue extremity injuries, Spinal cord and nervous system trauma, Trauma, Trauma in Pregnancy, Upper extremity bony trauma,
CXR, Head CT, C-Spine XR, Abdo CT, KUB, Pelvic US, Cardiac US, Biliary US, FAST US,
Point of Care Testing
Endotracheal Intubation, Other Airway Procedures, Chest Tube, Thoracotomy, Cardioversion, Central Line Insertion, Laceration Repair, Incision and Drainage, Lumbar Puncture, Medicine
Cardioversion, Blood and Fluids,
PRACTICE AND ADMINISTRATION
Contract Principles, Financial Issues, Operations, Performance Improvement, Pre-Hospital Care, Professionalism, Systems-Based Management, Risk Management, Legal and Regulatory Issues,
KNOWLEDGE AND COMMUNICATION
Biostatistics, EBM, Guidelines, Presentations and Lecturing, Research, Health Informatics
- Use one of these stencils as a model structure, whenever possible, to provide some uniformity in this textbook:
- The ABEM/ACEP Model of the Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine guides creation of chapters and topics in this textbook, wherever possible.
- If any references are medical articles with Unique Identifiers, they may link out to the PubMed Abstract.
- For instance, a link to the PubMed article with Unique Identifier = 15635313 is created a PubMed Link - simply use the prefix 'PMID' and the PubMedId Number, for example:
- Respiratory Rate Measurement PMID 15635313
- The PubMed home page is here:
- If you are contributing for the first time, or if you are not familiar with the Wiki system, please read this:
- Miscellaneous pages:
Please Read: Warnings and Disclaimers
- Please read the Wikibooks General Disclaimer and Medical Disclaimer.
- Never post any material which contains Private Health Information (PHI). This is not only wrong, it will probably expose the person posting PHI to criminal sanctions and other professional repurcussions. Please alert a system administrator if you see anything you suspect to be PHI. If in doubt, report it or remove it.
- Plagiarism, breach of copyright, impersonation, and vandalism are not OK.
- Do not use this textbook as a guide to treating yourself or anyone else! Don't use it as a guide to any health decisions. Consult your doctor, don't make decisons using this book. The information in this textbook can not be trusted for making medical decisions.
- The information in this textbook can be edited by anyone, regardless of whether they are medically trained or not, regardless of whether they are providing good information or misleading information. The information in this textbook may be wrong! Using this information to make health decisions for yourself or anyone in your care may lead to death, disability, pain and suffering, or worse!
- The material in this textbook has not been checked for accuracy or safety
- This wikibook is intended to be a collaborative communication between physicians, nurses, physician assistants, paramedics, EMTs and other healthcare providers. It is not intended for the general public. It is under development and inevitably contains many errors and omissions.