Lesson 7.3: Special EMS Operations Overviews
By the end of this lesson, the EMT-Basic should be able to:
- Explain the EMT-Basic's role during a call involving hazardous materials.
- Describe what the EMT-Basic should do if there is reason to believe that there is a hazard at the scene.
- Describe what actions an EMT-Basic should take to ensure bystander safety.
- State the role that an EMT-Basic should perform until appropriately trained personnel arrive at the scene of a hazardous materials situation.
- Break down the steps to approaching a hazardous situation.
- Discuss the various environmental hazards that affect EMS.
- Describe the criteria for a multiple-casualty situation.
- Evaluate the role of the EMT-Basic in the multiple-casualty situation.
- Summarize the components of basic triage.
- Define the role of the EMT-Basic in a disaster operation.
- Describe the basic concepts of incident management.
- Explain the methods for preventing contamination of self, equipment, and facilities.
- Review the local mass-casualty incident plan.
- Demonstrate how triage would be performed at a mass-casualty incident.