Spaying or neutering your dog can be helpful both for the dog and for you.
- No possibility of accidental puppies (There are already many more dogs than there are people who want them, leading to many deaths.)
- Dogs are less apt to run away and/or attract stray dogs
- Spaying a female dog almost eliminates the risk of uterine infections, genital cancers, and mammary tumors
- Decreases aggressiveness of males to each other in the presence of females in heat (Unfortunately, it will not consistently decrease other types of aggressiveness.)
- Decreases territory marking, which aids in house-training
- Reduces the risk of prostate enlargement in male dogs
- Avoids disadvantages of female dogs in heat, such as aggressiveness, discomfort, and discharge of fluid from the vagina