Ume juice is extracted by preserving the fruits in sugar. It tastes sweet and acidic, and is a refreshing drink, often enjoyed in the summer. Ume-shu is sweet and smooth. The taste and aroma of ume-shu can appeal to even those people who normally dislike the taste of alcohol.
- Raw ume: 1kg
- Hard rock sugar: 1kg
- Honey: to taste
- White liquor: a bit to taste
- A container: preferably a sealable glassware container.
- Wash raw ume and wipe clean of moisture.
- Cram tightly into container with rock sugar. White liquor can be poured in at this time.
- Pour honey into container on top of ume.
- Leave in a cool, dark place until fruit are shriveled and leathery.
- Remove fruit from container.
Dilute this liquid with two times as much water to drink. Should be kept in a cool place during summer.Last modified on 26 March 2010, at 23:58