I call them tiramisu paninis because they have all the flavors of tiramisu: mascarpone cheese, the bread is soaked in coffee, and it's dusted with cocoa powder.
- 8 slices white bread, toasted
- Mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 cups strong coffee or espresso, cooled
- Cocoa powder
- Hazelnut oil
- In a 13x9 roasting pan, pour in coffee. Add bread slices and add a weight if they float. Let sit 1/2 hour.
- Remove bread from pan and discard any remaining coffee.
- Toast bread again.
- Spread slices of bread liberally with mascarpone cheese.
- Attach 2 slices of bread to each other, cheese facing in. Brush outside liberally with hazelnut oil.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Add sandwiches, working in batches if needed, and cook until brown on both sides and cheese is melted. Dust with cocoa powder, drizzle with hazelnut oil, and serve warm.