- 4 (6-ounce) wild salmon filets with skin, pin bones removed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbs light brown sugar
- 2 Thai bird chiles, stemmed
- Sesame oil
- A kettle grill, preferably from Weber
- A large chimney starter
- Natural chunk or hardwood lump charcoal
- A kitchen towel tied into a roll and soaked in vegetable oil
- Gallon-size resealable plastic bags
- Combine all ingredients except salmon in a blender until smooth. Pour into a plastic bag and add salmon. Toss to coat, seal, removing as much air as possible, and refridgerate up to 4 hours.
- Remove salmon from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Brush all sides with oil.
- Preheat 4 1/2 pounds charcoal in starter. Once hot, disperse evenly around bottom of grill. Reapply grate and once hot, swab with towel.
- Add salmon to hottest part of grill skin side up, and cook 3-5 minutes per side for medium, turning 90 degrees halfway to mark.
Remove to a plate and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.