- Combine seasonings.
- Moisten chicken with lemon juice and coat with seasoning mixture.
- Dredge chicken in cornmeal and let rest 2-3 minutes only.
- Melt shortening in a large cast iron skillet; heat to 350°. WATCH CAREFULLY!
- Place legs and breasts around the edges, then place thighs in the center. (more on that later)
- Fry for 12 minutes, then turn and fry another 12 minutes.
- Drain on a cooling or oven rack. Please don't use paper towels, they will make your chicken greasy.
- Sprinkle with black pepper; serve.
The reason for putting the chicken in different spots is because there is usually a hotspot in the center of the pan.
Also, the chicken will stay rocket-hot for a good 20 minutes, so do not put the chicken into an oven. Especially a GAS oven. It'll just make it soggy.