Cookbook:Sweet & Spicy Smoked Chicken
Slow cooking over smoldering hickory wood with a sweet & spicy rub makes the chicken melt-in-your-mouth tender.
- 1 (3-4 pound) broiler/fryer chicken, cut into quarters
- Hickory chunks
- 2 1/2 cups hot apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4 pounds ice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ancho chile powder
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon pepper
- Combine salt, sugar, and vinegar in a gallon size zip-top bag. Add ice and shake until mostly melted and mixture has cooled.
- Add chicken pieces and refridgerate 2-3 hours.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Combine rub ingredients. Set aside.
- Loosen skin from chicken. Rub spice mixture under skin.
- Place enough hickory in the firebox of a smoker