- 1 (4 pound) boneless pork loin roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups boiling apple cider vinegar
- 1 pound ice cubes
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs light brown sugar
- 2 tbs dehydrated lemon peel
- 2 tbs black peppercorns, cracked
- Forearm-sized hickory wood chunks
- 3/4 cup honey
Last modified on 4 June 2010, at 21:54
- Combine salt, honey, and vinegar in a 6-quart container. Add ice, cover, and shake until ice is mostly melted and brine has cooled.
- Add pork roast, toss to coat, and weigh down if needed. Refrigerate 3-3 1/2 hours.
- Take roast out of brine; rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Combine seasonings and sugar. Press into all sides of meat. Set aside.
- Preheat smoker to 200 degrees F with the hickory chunks. Add roast, cover, and cook until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees for medium rare.
- Remove to a plate and cover tightly with foil. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.