Shiro wat, sometimes shiro wet, is a traditional Ethiopian Jewish pea stew.
- Take a medium-size cooking pan, add the onion and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the oil, and after 1 minute add berberei, then cook it for 4 or five minutes (use water if it tries to stick on the pan, and stir regularly).
- Add 2½ cups of water.
- When the water boils, add the shiro carefully stirring it in the pan; it should not make lumps. Then cook it for 5 minutes, stirring it regularly.
- Finally, add salt and the butter, and after 2 or 3 minute remove it from the heat.
It can be served hot or cold with injera.
Notes, tips and variationsEdit
- Shiro powder can be bought from Ethiopian grocers.
- Alternatively, split green peas can be used. Just extend the simmering period until the peas are tender and fall apart.