Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Bread
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) lukewarm milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 cups (360g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
Last modified on 22 October 2011, at 20:11
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the milk and add the sugar. In another bowl, sift the flour and salt together and add the cooled melted butter.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture, and turn out onto a floured counter and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm, draft free place to 45 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto the freshly floured board and shape into 9 balls. Place dough balls into a buttered and floured 9 inch square pan. Let them sit, covered for another 15 minutes to rise again. Preheat the oven to 425° F (220 C).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned and puffed. Split open and serve warm.