This recipe is my own (still under improvement) version on how to make a QE (quick and easy) alternative pitta. Dubbed the "VDP QE Quornpitta", this pitta is prepared with Quorn; its suitable to vegetarians. I first came up to the idea of the pitta as I found that the chopped-up Quorn pieces available from supermarkets taste (after microwaving without additives) quite bad. After adding ketchup, it tasted way better, so I started thinking and experimenting and finally came up with blending tomato paste, vinegar, garlic and some red peppers (similar to a regular taco-mix). This sauce I made is however not made with sugar and not greasy (unlike ketchup). I added the whole in a pitta, as this is widely available (you may use other oven-baked breads too). As certain nutritionist organisations have their own version of pitta too to include in their diets, and as the ingredients used here are even better in quality; this is a "very healthy" snack (if you stick to your diet guidelines; e.g., on calories per day, ...)
For the sauce:
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of dried red (jalapeno) peppers
- 1 (240 gm) can tomato paste (double concentrate)
- 2 fresh minced echalottes or 1 large onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or several stalks of fresh oregano (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of ground black cardamom
For pitta and Quorn: Pitta and Quorn are to be bought as is (look for good quality; that is low-sugar/fat/calorie pittas)
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce and make sure its smooth (crush/brooze onions, fresh leaves with utensils). Microwave the sauce (make sure its in a tupperwave pot so it doesn't make a mess) for 2 minutes. Stir the sauce, make sure its not dried out (add some vinegar if too dry) and put in for 2 minutes more. The sauce can be then set aside.
- Now put the Quorn inside the microwave for some 1-2 minutes. Mix sauce and Quorn and make sure its smooth (so that the whole looks like a paste rather than meat); put this again inside the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Prepare the pitta as indicated or use the pitta as is.Now put the sauce with the Quorn stirred into it inside the pitta.