- Soak beans for several hours, then put them in large saucepan.
- Add all the meat to pot.
- Chop the sausage into 1½ inch (about 3cm) pieces, then add to pot.
- Add bay leaves and chopped parsley.
- Fill the pot with water and bring to boil.
- Fry onions, tomatoes, carrots, and garlic in oil and margarine.
- Once onions are fried, transfer two ladle scoops of bean mixture into skillet, mash with vegetables, then dump all contents of skillet back into pot.
- Add tomato paste, cover, and let cook for 1 hour.
- Cook rice and, when finished, add to pot, then serve.