The Mexican dish picadillo is a popular filling for tacos.
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs (450g to 625g) of ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 14 1/2-ounce beef broth
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 3 large russet potato, cubed bite-sized
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Black pepper, cumin, oregano and garlic powder to taste (about 2-2 1/2 tablespoons total)
- In a large, heavy pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Dump onions, garlic, bell pepper and seasonings into heated oil.
- When the bell pepper starts to discolor, add to it ground beef, stirring to break up large pieces and brown evenly, about 7 minutes.
- As meat is browning, add potato, beef broth and diced tomatoes.
Simmer until picadillo thickens, stirring occasionally.
Serve hot with Spanish rice and tortilla. Makes 6 servings.Last modified on 25 April 2013, at 14:22