Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Cuisine of India | Side Dishes
Pear chutney is served as a side dish for many Indian foods. It can be mild to extra hot depending on the individual preference.
- 4½ lb. firm ripe pears
- 1 large green pepper
- 1½ cups raisins
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup crystallised ginger, cut small
- 3 cups white vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. powdered cloves
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 6 bay leaves
- ½ cup liquid pectin
Last modified on 18 April 2010, at 16:25
- Pare, core and slice pears.
- Chop pepper finely.
- Mix pears, pepper, raisins, sugar, crystallised ginger, white vinegar, salt and water.
- Use string to tie spices in a cheesecloth bag and add.
- Simmer mixture until thick, about 2 hours.
- Remove spice bag.
- Add liquid pectin and boil for 1 minute.
- Pour immediately into hot, sterilised jars, and seal straight away.
- Makes 3 pints; approximately seven 5-inch jars.