This is a very popular dish from the Kerala region of India. Its quick to prepare and a very tasty accompaniment to main course of rice or roti
- 1 cucumber (large variety, with dark green and yellow skin)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 or 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt according to taste
- Skin the cucumber. Cut in half along the length and remove the central core of seeds.
- Grate the cucumber. Alternatively, cut into very small pieces.
- Cook the cucumber in the microwave for about 4-5 min.
- Meanwhile, make a fine paste from the grated coconut and the cumin seeds
- In a deep dish (kadhai), heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and red chillies. Let it splutter.
- Add the cooked cucumber and the coconut paste and salt to taste. Mix well and let it cook on slow fire. Do not allow it to boil. It just needs to be warmed.
- As the mixture starts to boil, take it off the stove.
Its ready to be served.Last modified on 23 April 2010, at 09:42