- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1/2 cup tequilla (recommended:José Cuervo Especial Gold)
- 1/2 cup margarita mix
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mesquite chips, soaked in water 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tbs fresh cilantro
- 3 chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 3 tbs adobo sauce
Last modified on 24 March 2010, at 22:05
- Combine tequilla, oil, mix, lime, cumin, cilantro, adobo, and the chiles in a blender until smooth. Pour into a gallon size zip-top bag and add chicken. Toss to coat and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat grill. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper and place on grill. Cook, turning often, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- While chicken cooks, run the marinade through a cheesecloth and skim oil. Bring to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat and cook until liquid has reduced to 3 ounces.
- Once chicken is done, remove to a plate and pour marinade over. Cover tightly with foil and let rest 15 minutes before serving.