This is a salad originally from North Africa. It can be used as side dish, as well as put on bread.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 15 tomatoes, cubed
- 10 regular bell peppers, cut into small pieces, but not too small so they don't end up disappearing when you cook them. They can be any color, but red is traditional
- 5 chili peppers, chopped small.
- A 330ml can of tomato paste
- There is no official list of spices, but I usually use salt, pepper, cumin, parsley and oregano
- Take a pot that is big enough for all of the above, cover the bottom with oil, and put it on a flame.
- When the oil gets hot, put in the onion and garlic.
- When they start to fry, add the rest of the vegetables and salt.
- Mix it up a bit and cover the pot.
- Leave it to cook, mixing it every so often, until the level of the liquid is higher than the level of the vegetables.
- Drain off most (but not all) the liquid.
- Add the tomato paste and the spices.
- Mix, and let it cool.