(1 pound of cabbage fills 1 pint jar)
|Time||6-8 days summer
12 days winter
If you like kraut, you will like this one.
See also: sauerkraut
- Clean old leaves off cabbage heads.
- Quarter heads and slice off cores.
- Shred cabbage.
- Put 5 pounds cabbage and salt in large pan and mix with hands.
- Pack into crock with potato masher. Pack gently.
- When crock is nearly full, cover with cloth, plate, and weight.
- Check daily and remove scum.
- When kraut is sour enough, you can leave it in crock, and seal it with parafin wax; or kraut can be sealed in sterilized glass jars, adding enough brine to fill the jar. Process for 15 minutes below boiling point.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- It takes six to eight days to ferment in summer weather.
- If it's cooler, it might take up to twelve days.
- Is there anything better on a fat sausage or even just a hot dog?