|Energy||1500-2100 kJ (358-502 kcal) per serving|
Kheer or payasam is a thick rice pudding.
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Add rice and cook slowly until thick (about 20 minutes).
- Stir in the sugar, sultanas (raisins), and the ground seeds from the cardamom pods (cook a further 5 minutes).
- Stir in the almonds and rosewater, and cover until ready to serve.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Stir the milk while bringing it to the boil.
- You may also want to leave the kheer boiling for much longer (several hours), until it has been significantly reduced; this provides a stronger flavour and a light-pink colour.
- You can use rice flour instead of plain rice.
- For kheer that is not too thick when cold, use 170 mL (⅔ cup) of rice instead.
- If to be eaten cold, it's nicer to use double the quantities of sugar, sultanas, and almonds.
- The main difficulty in this dish is preventing the kheer from sticking to the bottom of the pan, that requires care.