Salmon fillets are marinated in jerk spices, such as Scotch bonnet peppers, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, and ginger.
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets with skin on one side
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded if you like
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground Grains of Paradise, or more pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- A heat-resistant towel tied with twine and soaked in oil
- In a blender or food processor, puree all ingredients except, towel, salmon, and oil until smooth. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the oil.
- Pour into a gallon size zip-top bag. Add salmon and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat about 28 charcoal briquets in a large chimney starter. Disperse evenly around the bottom of the grill.
- Reapply the grate. Quickly lube the grate with the towel.
- Add the salmon skin side down and cook, covered, turning often, until pink throughout and flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest 5-7 minutes before serving warm.