- 2 each boneless skinless chicken thighs, drumsticks, and boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Hickory BBQ Rub
- 1 cup salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 cups hot apple cider vinegar
- 1 pound ice
- 1 cup homemade barbecue sauce (bottled barbecue sauce has too much sugar)
- Hickory wood chips
- 2 probe thermometers
- Combine salt, honey, and vinegar in a gallon size zip-top bag until salt has dissolved. Add ice and shake until ice is almost completely melted and mixture has cooled down. Insert chicken pieces and refrigerate 1 1/2-2 hours, turning once.
- Place a good amount of hickory chips in the bottom of a large roasting pan. Place a roasting rack in that pan. Set aside.
- Drain chicken and discard mixture. Pat dry with paper towels and season chicken liberally on both sides with rub. Gently pat into meat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (more rub will stick if you wear gloves).
- Toss chicken pieces in barbecue sauce. Place on the prepared roasting pan and insert 1 probe thermometer into one of the breasts and one into the thighs. Bake in the center of a 375 degree F oven until both the thigh and the breast's internal temperature reach 165 degrees F.
- Bring remaining sauce to a boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest 10 minutes. Serve warm with remaining sauce.