German Potato Salad is a popular variation which is generally served warm. It is typically more sour and contains pork or bacon.
- 1.75 lbs/790 grams red potatoes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Riesling wine
- 4 tbsp beef stock
- 4 tbsp chicken stock
- 8 tbsp chopped red onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp coarse mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- ¼ lb/113 grams uncooked chopped bacon
- Boil the potatoes about 17 minutes.
- Cook the bacon till slightly crisp.
- Set aside potatoes, cooked bacon, flour, chopped green onions and one half of the red onions.
- After blending, thicken the sauce with flour and medium heat, breaking up all clumps of flour. Add bacon, green onions, and onions for 20 minutes at low heat.
- Slice potatoes thinly.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and stir gently.