|Escargots à la bourguignonne|
Escargots à la bourguignonne – Snails with garlic butter
Yield: 24 (serves 4)
- 24 snails, canned
- ½ lb. butter, softened
- 1 Tbs. shallots, minced
- 1 tsp. garlic, grated with a micro plane or finely chopped
- 1½ Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 24 snail shells, with snail serving dishes, and snail tongs, OR
- 4 glazed indented earthenware snail serving dishes, OR
- 24 small mushroom caps, trimmed and de-gilled
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Drain and rinse the snails.
- Combine the butter with the garlic, parsley and seasoning and blend well.
- Sauté the mushroom caps, if used, in a small amount of garlic butter until cooked but still firm. Remove from the heat.
- If using snail shells, place a snail in each shell and fill the rest of the space with garlic butter.
- If using a snail dish without the shells, place a snail in each indentation and fill the rest of the space with garlic butter.
- If using mushroom caps, place 2 or 3 snails in each cap and top with a generous amount of garlic butter.
- Heat the snails in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes and serve with copious quantities of French bread for soaking up the garlic butter.