Cookbook:Eggplant and Chickpea Skillet
Eggplant and Chickpea Skillet is a colorful and tasty dish suitable for vegans. It is important to use fresh basil in this recipe.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 green Bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 small Eggplant (aubergine) or 2 Italian eggplants, quartered and sliced
- 6-8 Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15-oz (400g) can diced Tomatoes
- 1 15-oz (400g) can Chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 tsp. Tarragon
- 2-3 cups (200-250 g) Broccoli, cut into small florets
- 8-12 fresh Basil leaves (preferably Thai basil)
- Sauté the green bell pepper and garlic in the oil over medium heat for several minutes. Add mushrooms and eggplant and continue cooking, stirring often, for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, chickpeas and tarragon. Stir well, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until eggplant has softened somewhat.
- Stir in the basil leaves and broccoli and simmer, partially covered, for 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is bright green. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve over rice or couscous.
Per serving: 248 calories; 13g protein; 7g fat; 34g carbohydrate; 0mg cholesterolLast modified on 3 March 2010, at 21:11