This is the way your grandparents warmed up on a winter's day.
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1½ cups diced, pared potatoes (cut in ½-inch cubes)
- 2 cups corn. fresh or frozen
- 1½ cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter; add onion and celery and cook until tender.
- Add potatoes, corn, salt, pepper, water, bouillon cubes, and thyme.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes and corn are tender.
- Add milk and cream.
- Heat through.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- If cooking outdoors, you can substitute evaporated milk or powdered milk. Paprika or pepper can be added for hotter flavor.