Last modified on 30 January 2010, at 16:39
- Dredge beef in flour. Heat oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven.
- Working in batches, add beef and thoroughly brown on all sides.
- Remove beef and add cognac. Bring to a boil and ignite. Deglaze pan by scraping the bottom.
- Once reduced by half, remove and pour over beef.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add onion. Cook 1-2 minutes before adding garlic. Sauté until pale gold color is achieved.
- Add everything else and place in a 250° oven and bake 5 hours. Let rest 10 minutes and serve.