Coddle is a popular meal in Dublin. It's seen as being an economical dish.
For four people:
- 550g sausages
- 250g rashers/bacon bits
- 300ml chicken stock or water
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- salt and pepper
- Chop the rashers into 3cm pieces. Bowl the bacon, onions and sausages in some of the stock so that they are completely submerged for about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cut if necessary to bite sizes, and add the rest of the stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the potatoes have started to disintegrate, thickening the broth.
- Add salt pepper to serve. Goes well with soda bread or brown bread.
- Can be stored in fridge and reheated in microwave.