Chicken Riggies (recipe by P.A. Johnson) This is a Utica, NY classic. It is well known throughout the greater Mohawk Valley and once a year there is a festival in honor of this dish called Riggiefest, held to benefit the YWCA of the Mohawk Valley. Here is a recipe based from a Mohawk Valley native: http://miocibo.com/2008/12/21/chicken-riggies/. Based on eating the dish hundreds of times at Joey's, listed in Wikipedia as the birthplace!!!!
- 1 stick margarine (not butter), melted
- 1 onion, minced
- 2-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 oz. jar of sweet peppers (slice and removed seeds)
- 3 sliced hot cherry peppers (jarred ones with oil)
- Note: it is important to use jarred peppers--the flavor of fresh peppers completely changes the recipe.
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ pint cream
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1 to 1½ lb rigatoni pasta