- Poke holes all over chicken to let fat run out during cooking.
- Rub chicken thoroughly with spice rub: inside and out, and then under skin as far as you can reach
- Set aside chicken.
- Remove upper racks from oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- When oven preheated, take a healthy drink of the beer, leaving about 9 or 10 ounces.
- Crumble bay leaves into beer, in beer can.
- Insert beer can firmly into chicken cavity.
- Place chicken upright in shallow heatproof pan.
- Bake chicken upright until thickest part is 165°F, an hour or an hour and a half.
- When removing chicken from oven, keep upright.
- Rest chicken upright 15 minutes before removing beer can.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
Last modified on 24 February 2011, at 14:17
- A disposable drip pan will save you a lot of cleanup (and a lot of flares on the outdoor grill).
- This is really best on a charcoal grill, on medium heat.