This recipe makes dough for a 2-pound (900 g) loaf of bread, or 2 1-pound loaves.[note 1] It is intended for use in a bread machine.
Volumetric [note 2] Grams Baker's % [note 3] 1 cup (heated for about 40 seconds in the microwave) water 237 86.5% 2 teaspoons (30 ml) sugar 8.4 3.07% 1 teaspoon (15 ml) salt 6 2.19% 2 cups high-gluten (strong) flour (bread flour in the U.S.) 274 100% 1-4 teaspoon (approximately 30 ml) active dry yeast 4-16 1.46-5.84% 1 spoon full of honey 7-21 2.55-7.66% Formula 536.4-562.4 195.77-205.26%
- Add ingredients to a 2-pound capacity bread machine in the order listed, select dough cycle, and press start.
- Remove when cycle is complete.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C)
- When dough is finished, form into desired shape on a floured surface, and place on baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Bake until lightly brown and firm. Cooking time will vary with altitude (20-40 minutes).
- Cool and enjoy.
- To make a twist loaf, roll dough into a cylindrical shape with your hands, but make one end of the cylinder thicker than the other. Then divide the cylinder with a knife down the center of the thicker end, creating a ring with a protruding cylinder. Braid and bake.
- Brush loaf with an eggwash (1 egg + a scant amount of water) or egg white, melted margarine or butter, or olive oil for a crisper crust.
- Sprinkle brushed loaf with minced garlic, chopped herbs, ground spices, grated cheese, ground pepper and/or kosher salt for flavor.
- Toss or roll into a flat disc and top with tomato sauce, olive oil, chopped meat, vegetables and/or grated cheeses to create a pizza (bake until cheese is melted).
- Formula weight says otherwise.
- Original recipe text and ingredient order preserved. Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database. One teaspoon equals approximately 5 mL, so mL values were ignored. Honey was presumed in the range of 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon.
- Baker's percentages.