Banana bread is a basic, reliable banana bread recipe. The perfect thing to do with over-ripe bananas! An alternative version of this recipe can be found here.
- 1 cups white sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 bananas (the riper the better), mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ⅓ cup sour milk or buttermilk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Note: ½ tsp. baking powder and ⅓ cup milk can be substituted for the sour milk/buttermilk and baking soda.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly grease an 8 in x 4 in (20 cm x 10 cm) loaf pan.
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat well.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake on middle shelf of oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Makes one loaf.