A vegetable pie using tomatoes, aubergines (eggplant), onions, and mushrooms. You can make vegetable pie with many kinds of vegetables.
For 4 or 5 persons, here are the ingredients:
- 250 g (1 cup) of flour
- 100 g (0.4 cups) of medium soft butter (leave it out for a half-hour before making the crust)
- 1 egg
- some lukewarm water
- a pinch of salt
- Pour the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the portions of butter.
- Knead everything until the pastry is nearly consistent.
- Add the egg, then some water bit by bit while working the pastry with your hands until it becomes soft and smooth.
- It should not be sticky, and it should look shiny and medium yellow.
- Cut the vegetables into thin slices.
- Brown the vegetables in oil or butter, or you may steam them.
- Begin with the onions and aubergines (eggplant), then the mushrooms.
- Keep the tomatoes raw.
Putting it togetherEdit
- Butter the pie pan and shape the pastry into the pan.
- Pre-heat the crust for about 10 minutes at medium heat after making small holes in the base of the pan.
- So the pastry does not swell up, place some aluminum foil in a curved shape over the pastry.
- Once the pastry is precooked take it out of the oven and arrange the cooked vegetables over the crust in whatever arrangement pleases you.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolk with some milk and a bit of fresh cream, then pour the mixture on top of the vegetables.
- Cover with grated cheese.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes at medium heat.