|Time||prep: 15 minutes
baking: 20 minutes
- 6 cups sliced, peeled and cored baking apples
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tbs water (divided into 4 and 2)
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- Stir together apples, 2/3 cup sugar and 4 Tbs water in a large sauce-pan. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Add 2 Tbs water and 1 Tbs cornstarch. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, 2 Tbs sugar, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles large crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, just to moisten.
- Transfer filling to 2-quart square baking dish.
- Using a large spoon, drop topping into small mounds on top of the filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in a 400 °F oven (205 °C).
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Cobblers can be made with peaches, pears, nectarines, apricots, and various types of berries.