Algebra is the branch of mathematics concerning the study of the rules of operations and relations, and the constructions and concepts arising from them, including terms, polynomials, equations and algebraic structures.
You've been asked to buy peanuts for you and your friends at a football game. You've collected $12.50. One bag is $2.75. You want to know how many bags you can buy. This is an algebra problem! Related problems are how much money will be left over, and what should you buy or in what proportions should you return the extra money to your friends.
Algebra helps us to predict things that we don't yet know and to determine the relationships between the things we do. Algebra is a powerful and rich branch of mathematics that is useful in everyday life as well as business, engineering, and other technical fields.
Introduction to MathematicsEdit
- About This Book
Numbers, Variables and RelationshipsEdit
How can we use numbers and variables to find out unknown information?
- Numbers and Variables
- Equations With One Variable
Linear Functions An Introduction To GraphingEdit
Maths is a method of solving problems. You take information you know, and by manipulating it using mathematical principles, you can find information you don't know. Functions are the mathematical framework for solving problems. They have parameters, rules, and ways of being solved. This section will introduce you to common functions and how to use them.
- Introduction to Linear Functions
- Graphing Linear Functions
- Graphing Inequalities
- The Pythagorean Theorem and The Distance Formula
- Absolute Value
- Systems of Equations
- Compound and Absolute Value Inequalities
- Graphing Systems of Inequalities
- Other Types of Graphs
- More about Graphing
Sequences and SeriesEdit
- Introduction to Sequences and Series
Elementary Probability and StatisticsEdit
Ongoing merging workEdit
To be merged/unsorted
- In this book
- Stemplots (Do we want this?)
- Arithmetic/Numerical Axioms (Was orphaned from the book, should keep an eye out for others)
- Equalities and Inequalities (Was orphaned from the book)
- Proofs/Exercises Don't forget to merge this page out of this book.
- Quadratic functions
- Solving equations
- Theory of Equations
- Redirect to another book (why?)